The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald & The Sun-Herald
The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun Herald
h: 374 w: 260mm
h: 280 w: 194mm
1/2 Vertical Page
h: 374 w: 129mm
1/2 Page Horizontal
h: 186 w: 260mm
h: 139 w: 260mm
1/4 Page Vertical
h: 186 w: 129mm
1/4 Page Strip
h: 92 w: 260mm
h: 139 w: 129mm
h: 92 w: 129mm
h: 45 h: 260mm
h: 139 w: 63mm
h: 92 w: 63mm
h: 45 w: 129mm
h: 45 w: 63mm
Newsprint Technical Specifications
The following are print specifications to assist the preparation and creation of PDF artwork files for newsprint advertising for the above mentioned publications.
We print at a linescreen ruling of 100 lpi. Please supply at a minimum of:
- Images: 150 dpi
- Single bitmap: 600 dpi
Logos supplied as either single bitmap or vector artwork.
Colour should be supplied as CMYK.
Total Ink Coverage
Ensure all elements including TIFFs, JPEGs, or EPS images do not exceed (CMYK) 240% total ink.
Fonts and Type
It is not recommend reversing text out of four colour images. Minimum type sizes are:
- Single solid colour: 6 pt
- Coloured type on a white background using two or three colour plates: 8 pt
- Reversed type out of one colour plates: 8 pt
- Reversed type out of two or more colour plates: 12 pt san serif, bold
When preparing your advertisement in your native program, please ensure that your paper size and your advertisement size are the same. Registration and trim marks are not required.
For more detailed print specifications and colour reproduction guidelines please refer to Technical_Reproduction_Guidelines.
Creating Your PDF
Documents submitted to Nine must be saved as a PDF. PDF files must be created with a PostScript application. PDF versions higher than V1.3 are not supported.
- Press ready, high resolution PDF files
- Save the file as an EPS out of your native program (Acrobat Distiller ) and create the PDF
- PDFs from Word, Excel, Publisher or Powerpoint are not acceptable
- PDFs from Adobe Photoshop are not acceptable
- Fully rasterised PDF’s from, or placed in any application are not accepted, due to extremely poor reproduction of fonts
- PDFs created from native programs such as InDesign, QuarkXpress, or Illustrator are acceptable
1. Create an EPS file using a PostScript software applications. Instructions for popular programs can be found here:
2. Convert the EPS to PDF using Adobe Acrobat Distiller
Photoshop Colour Settings
A Colour Settings File (CSF) has been developed to use Photoshop to enable effective image conversion from RGB to CMYK or RGB to Greyscale. In converting the image this file will also adjust maximum ink weight and incorporate Grey Component Replacement (GCR) settings for newsprint.
These inserts specifications apply for inserting commercial products into all Nine owned and printed publications. The key to a successful insert campaign for your clients is to follow the product recommendations and guidelines.
For full details on the requirements for inserts download the Insert Requirements.
For full details on specifications for inserts download the Insert Specifications.
Packaging and Delivery
Nine have designed their packaging requirements to maximise the chance of the inserts arriving at the plant in good condition and therefore providing the best opportunity for a successful insert. For full delivery details download the Packing and Delivery Instructions.
Nine media print publications do not accept material directly via email. For a full list of acceptable delivery methods refer to Delivery Methods.
For information on The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Sun Herald print material deadlines review the table below.