Sydney and Melbourne rely on Talk Radio
Sydney and Melbourne rely on Talk Radio
Sydney’s 2GB and Melbourne’s 3AW have dominated the latest radio survey, retaining their No.1 positions.
GfK Survey 5 2021 again shows the importance of talk radio as a trusted medium for news, information and opinion, particularly as the country grapples with COVID-19 and lockdowns.
In Sydney, 2GB has maintained its unbroken record of 135 consecutive station surveys at No.1.
Breakfast host Ben Fordham is Sydney’s No.1 with a 16.8% share (up 3.5 points) while Ray Hadley has recorded his 135th consecutive survey win posting a 19.9% share (up 6.2 points). This is Ray’s highest cumulative audience since 2004.
While in Melbourne 3AW held its dominant No.1 position with a 15.1% making this the 54th consecutive survey win for the station.
In Melbourne, Ross and Russ retained their No.1 spot with a 21.7% share up 0.9% and Neil Mitchell is also No.1 in Mornings with a 17.3% share.
Nine’s talk radio stations (2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR) recorded a cumulative audience increase of almost 7% this survey. The network was also No.1 among those aged 35+.
Greg Byrnes, Nine Radio’s Head of Content, says: “These results show listeners rely on 2GB and 3AW as their most trusted news and information. Talk radio can and does make a difference in people’s lives.”
“Across the talk radio network our strategy of live and local content is delivering with total audience up almost 7%. 2GB’s result is particularly pleasing given the extraordinary work that’s been going on behind the scenes over many months.”
2GB 873 is No.1 in Sydney with an audience share of 15.2% (up 3.4 points). This is 2GB’s 135th consecutive survey win
• Ben Fordham Live is Sydney’s No.1 Breakfast show with 16.8%.
• The Ray Hadley Morning Show is No.1 with 19.9% This is Ray’s 135th consecutive survey win and his highest cumulative audience since 2004.
• Afternoons with Deborah Knight is No.1 with 12.7% (up 4.2 points). (Mon-Fri 12.00pm-3.00pm)
• Drive with Jim Wilson up 1.5 points with a 9.2% share (Mon-Fri 3.00pm-6.00pm).
• Nights with John Stanley is No.1 with 26.1% (up 2.7 points) (Mon-Thurs 8.00pm-12am).
• 2GB Weekends is No.1 (including The Garden Clinic, Chris Smith and The Continuous Call Team 14.6% share (up 2.8 points).
Source: GfK Radio Ratings, 2GB Sydney Survey 5 2021, Mon-Fri 5.30am-9am, Mon-Fri 9am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN, Sat-Sun 5.30am-12MN, Market Share %, AP10+.
3AW is dominant in Melbourne. The radio station is No.1 with an audience share of 15.1%
• 3AW Breakfast with Ross Stevenson and Russel Howcroft is No.1 with of 21.7% (up 0.9 points), a total of 226 wins for 3AW Breakfast (Mon- Fri 5.30am-8.30am).
• Neil Mitchell is No.1 in Mornings with 17.3% (Mon-Fri 8.30am-12.00pm).
• Dee Dee Dunleavy’s had a share of 10.9% in afternoons (Mon Fri 12.00pm – 3.00pm).
• Tom Elliott is No.1 in Drive with 12.8% (Mon-Fri 3.00pm-6.00pm).
• Denis Walter is No.1 at night with 21.3% (Mon-Thurs 8.00pm–12.00am).
Source: GfK Radio Ratings, 3AW Melbourne Survey 5 2021, Mon-Fri 5.30am-8.30am, Mon-Fri 8.30am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN, Market Share %, AP10+
Survey 5 has seen 4BC 1116 grow in every timeslot and people 10+ audience growth rising 0.8 points to a share of 7.2%
• Breakfast with Neil Breen up 0.7 points with a share of 8.0%.
• The Ray Hadley Morning Show is No.1 in talk up 2.1 points with a 10.6% share.
• Afternoons with Deborah Knight is up 0.1 points to a share of 5% (Mon-Fri 12.00am – 3.00pm).
• Drive with Scott Emerson is up 0.5 points with a share of 4.4% (Mon-Fri 3.00-6.00pm).
• Nights with John Stanley is up 1.0 points with a share of 12.6% (Mon-Thurs 8.00pm-12.00am).
Source: GfK Radio Ratings, 4BC Brisbane Survey 5 2021, Mon-Fri 5.30am-9am, Mon-Fri 9am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12am-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN, Sat-Sun 5.30am-12MN, Market Share %, AP10+
6PR 882 continues to draw solid audiences in Survey 5 with an 8.0% share
• Breakfast with Gareth Parker recorded a 9.2% share.
• Mornings with Liam Bartlett had an 8.6% share. The show remains Perth’s No.1 Mornings talk show.
• Steve Mills in afternoons recorded a share of 7.1%. (Mon-Fri 12.00pm-3.00pm)
• Perth Live with Oliver Peterson lifted its audience with a 6.6 share, (Mon-Thurs 3.00pm-6.00pm Fri 3.00pm-5.45pm).
• The Nightshift with Tod Johnston drew a share of 13.9% (up 0.2% points) (Mon-Thurs 8.00pm-12.00am Fri 8.30pm-12am).
Source: GfK Radio Ratings, 6PR Perth Survey 5 2021, Mon-Fri 5.30am-9am, Mon-Fri 9am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Thurs 3pm-6pm Fri 3pm-5.45pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN Fri 8.30pm-12MN, Market Share %, AP10+
For more information:
Head of Corporate Affairs
Tuesday, August 31, 2021