Talk Radio clear #1 in Sydney and Melbourne
Talk Radio clear #1 in Sydney and Melbourne
The final radio ratings of 2020 have showcased the strong and powerful position of Talk Radio, in a year which has highlighted the close and trusted relationship the medium has with millions of listeners across Australia.
The GfK Survey 8 saw Nine Radio’s stations record stunning results Melbourne’s 3AW and Sydney’s 2GB. Nine Radio’s talk stations also retained their #1 position in the key 40+ demographic with a 18.2% share.
Greg Byrnes, Nine Radio’s Head of Content said: “Talk Radio has led the charge throughout this COVID year, and we finish 2020 as the dominant force in Melbourne and Sydney.
“3AW has re-written the record books by maintaining unprecedented results across all day parts while at 2GB, Ben and Ray have cemented their positions as the Sydney’s ‘must listen to’ radio programs.
“With 4BC again a force again in Brisbane and an exciting new line up in place for Perth’s 6PR, Talk Radio will build on the foundations established this year and go from strength to strength in 2021.
The results around the country are:
2GB 873 remains the leader in Sydney – #1 across Breakfast, Mornings, Evenings and Weekends recording its 130th consecutive survey win, with an 13.8% audience share.
• Ben Fordham Live finishes the year as the radio’s clear #1 Breakfast show (up 1.0 points) – with an audience share of 17.1%.
• The Ray Hadley Morning Show is a clear #1 in Mornings recording an audience share of 17.1%. This is Ray’s 130th consecutive win.
• Afternoons with Deborah Knight continues the strong performance it has had this year with an audience share of 9.6%.
• Drive with Jim Wilson continues to deliver a solid audience in the competitive Drive timeslot, with an 8.7% audience share (time adjusted).
• Nights with John Stanley dominates the timeslot – a clear #1 with an audience of 21.2% (up 0.7 points), well ahead of its competitors (time adjusted).
• 2GB Weekends (including The Garden Clinic, Chris Smith, The Two Murrays and Saturday Night Live with Stevie Jacobs) continues to grow with its audience share at 13.8% (up 0.2 points).
Networked programs Wide World of Sports with Mark Levy (2GB) and Money News with Brooke Corte (2GB, 3AW, 4BC) continue to perform strongly in their early evenings timeslot holding their audience.
3AW maintains a dominant position in the Melbourne market. After a year of stellar ratings, the final survey saw 3AW record an audience share of 19.6% in Survey 8 of the GfK radio ratings, as Melbourne continued to rely on Talk Radio for trusted news and opinion.
The station is the clear #1 in Breakfast, Mornings, Afternoons, Drive, Nights and Weekends recording across the board increases, and 3AW remains #1 in the key 35-64 advertiser demographic.
• After recent record-breaking surveys 3AW Breakfast with Ross Stevenson and Russel Howcroft continued to perform strongly, posting a stunning 26% share in their timeslot (time adjusted) and retaining the position of being Melbourne’s #1 Breakfast show. This marks 150 consecutive surveys and a total of 221 wins for 3AW as Melbourne’s #1 Breakfast show.
• Neil Mitchell is the undisputed leader with 3AW Mornings dominant in its timeslot recording a 21.9% share (time adjusted).
• Dee Dee Dunleavy’s Afternoons show retains the #1 crown in the timeslot drawing a 15.2% share (time adjusted).
• Tom Elliott retains #1 in the highly competitive timeslot. 3AW Drive had a share of 18.2% (time adjusted).
• Denis Walter’s Nights program is #1 in its timeslot and continues to hold its audience in Melbourne recording a 24.9% share (up 0.6 points) (time adjusted).
News Talk 4BC 1116 has posted an audience share of 7.9% among all people 10+
• Breakfast with Neil Breen continues to perform strong posting 9.1% share in Brisbane to finish the year.
• The Ray Hadley Morning Show is the #1 Morning Show on Talk Radio with a 11.3% share in his timeslot (9-11am).
• Afternoons with Deborah Knight ends 2020 recording a 7.4% share.
• Drive with Scott Emerson posts an audience share of 5.5% as it finishes his first year on 4BC.
• Nights with John Stanley had an 8.8% share in his timeslot of the audience continuing to grow his share (up 0.7 points).
6PR 882 Perth – Sees Growth in Drive
News Talk 6PR 882 has achieved an audience share of 7.9% in the final survey of 2020
• Breakfast with Steve Mills and Basil Zempilas have finished the year strongly with a 10.8% share.
• Mornings with Gareth Parker had a 8.2% share in the timeslot.
• Afternoons with Simon Beaumont recorded a share of 5.7%.
• Perth Live with Oliver Peterson has grown its audience with a 7.1% share, (up 0.4 points) (time adjusted).
• Perth Tonight with Chris Ilsley drew a share of 10.4% (up 1.8 points) (time adjusted).
For more information:
Head of Corporate Affairs, Nine
Tuesday, December 8, 2020