Talk Radio Dominates Breakfast
Talk Radio Dominates Breakfast
2GB Breakfast records best result in over a decade with a 19.8% share
3AW Breakfast pulls phenomenal 25.3% share
4BC and 6PR both record solid increases in Breakfast
Nine Radio’s talk network has dominated the latest radio survey, with Sydney’s 2GB and Melbourne’s 3AW retaining their clear No.1 positions while both Brisbane’s 4BC and Perth’s 6PR both posted solid increases.
2GB Breakfast host Ben Fordham was a standout in Survey 7 with a 19.8% share (up 1.0 point) and a record equalling cumulative audience.* This is 2GB’s highest result in Breakfast in more than a decade.** Mornings host Ray Hadley maintained his dominance with a phenomenal 18.3% share.
In Melbourne, 3AW Breakfast’s Ross and Russ grew their audience and retained their No.1 spot with a massive 25.3% share (up 0.7 points) and Mornings with Neil Mitchell lifted to 21.2 share (up 0.5 points), which is 6.8 points ahead of his nearest competitor.
Brisbane’s 4BC saw a station wide lift with Neil Breen’s Breakfast program up 1.2 points to a 9.3% share while Ray Hadley is again the No.1 Morning talk show in Brisbane with a 11.7% share. The station’s growth comes after its recent switch of frequency to 882 AM.
In Perth, Gareth Parker in 6PR Breakfast lifted 0.9 points to a 9.3% share. Overall, the station recorded increases across all timeslots and lifted 0.8 points to an 8.3% share.
Greg Byrnes, Nine Radio’s Head of Content, says: “These figures show Australians are embracing our live and local strategy. It’s a great result for the on-air teams, particularly in Breakfast, given the tireless effort they’ve put in throughout an extraordinary year. The power of talk radio means we can make a difference to people’s lives and we thank our listeners for their ongoing support.”*The previous record cumulative audience was Survey 3, 2019. **The previous highest share in 2GB Breakfast was 20.3% Survey 1, 2010
2GB 873 is No.1 in Sydney with an audience share of 15.7%. This is 2GB’s 137th consecutive survey win and 2GB Breakfast records best result in over a decade.
• Ben Fordham Live is Sydney’s No.1 Breakfast show lifting his share 1.0 point to a 19.8%. His highest survey result to date.
• The Ray Hadley Morning Show is a clear No.1 with 18.3% This is Ray’s 137th consecutive survey win.
• Afternoons with Deborah Knight is No.1 with 12.0%. (Mon-Fri 12.00pm-3.00pm)
• Drive with Jim Wilson recorded an 8.6% share (3.00pm-6.00pm).
• Nights with John Stanley is No.1 with 26.8% (Mon-Thurs 8.00pm-12am).
• 2GB Weekends is No.1 (including The Garden Clinic, Chris Smith and The Continuous Call Team with a 15.7% share
Source: GfK Radio Ratings, 2GB Sydney Survey 7 2021, Mon-Fri 5.30am-9am, Mon-Fri 9am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN, Sat-Sun 5.30am-12MN, Market Share %, AP10+.
3AW is No.1 across Breakfast Mornings, Afternoons, Drive, Nights and Weekends. The station is the No.1 radio station in Melbourne with an audience share of 18.9% up 0.7 points this survey.
• 3AW Breakfast with Ross Stevenson and Russel Howcroft grew their audience and retained their No.1 place with a 25.3% share (up 0.7 points.) This a total of 228 wins for 3AW Breakfast (Mon-Fri 5.30am-8.30am).
• Neil Mitchell is No.1 in Mornings with 21.2% up 0.5 points (Mon-Fri 8.30am-12.00pm).
• Dee Dee Dunleavy is No.1 had a share of 14.9% up 2.0 points in afternoons (Mon-Fri 12.00pm – 3.00pm).
• Tom Elliott is No.1 in Drive with a 17.3% share up 1.1 points (Mon-Fri 3.00pm-6.00pm).
• Denis Walter is No.1 at night with 25.3% (Mon- Thurs 8.00pm–12.00am).
Source: GfK Radio Ratings, 3AW Melbourne Survey 7 2021, Mon-Fri 5.30am-8.30am, Mon-Fri 8.30am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN, Market Share %, AP10+
4BC 882 posts audience growth with its share rising to 7.9% among all people 10+. This is the first survey since 4BC changed its frequency to 882 AM.
• Breakfast with Neil Breen had a share of 9.3% up 1.2 points.
• The Ray Hadley Morning Show maintains its dominance and is once again No.1 talk in Mornings, with an 11.7% share (Mon-Fri 9.00am-12.00pm).
• Afternoons with Deborah Knight/Afternoons with Sofie Formica had a share of 6.4% up 0.5 points (Mon-Fri 12.00pm – 3.00pm). This is Sofie’s first survey after beginning on air halfway through the survey period.
• Drive with Scott Emerson had a share of 5.5% and is up 0.9 points (Mon-Fri 3.00-6.00pm).
• Nights with John Stanley had a 15% share in his timeslot (Mon-Thurs 8.00pm-12MN).
Source: GfK Radio Ratings, 4BC Brisbane Survey 7 2021, Mon-Fri 5.30am-9am, Mon-Fri 9am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Thurs 8pm-12MN, Sat-Sun 5.30am-12MN, Market Share %, AP10+
6PR 882 continues to grow audience in Survey 7 with an 8.3% share, up 0.8 points, and has seen audience growth in all timeslots.
• Breakfast with Gareth Parker recorded a 9.3% share (up 0.9 points).
• Mornings with Liam Bartlett increases his share to 8.0% share (up 0.2 points). The show continues to be Perth’s No.1 Mornings talk show.
• Steve Mills in afternoons recorded a share of 7.0% (up 0.4 points). (Mon-Fri 12.00pm-3.00pm)
• Perth Live with Oliver Peterson is now No.1 talk in Drive and has lifted its audience with an 7.9% share, (up 1.7 points) (Mon-Fri 3.00pm-6.00pm).
• The Nightshift with Tod Johnston drew a share of 13.8% (Mon-Fri 8.00pm-12.00MN).
Source: GfK Radio Ratings, 6PR Perth Survey 7 2021, Mon-Fri 5.30am-9am, Mon-Fri 9am-12pm, Mon-Fri 12pm-3pm, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm, Mon-Fri 8pm-12MN, Market Share %, AP10+
For more information:
Head of Corporate Affairs
Tuesday, November 9, 2021