Nine’s Australian Open coverage in 2020 came to a triumphant conclusion, with over 13 million Australians tuning in over the tournament’s 14 days of play.
From Monday, January 20 until Sunday, February 2, the tournament’s best matches and biggest moments were broadcast live and free on Nine and 9Gem.
And on Australia’s leading commercial free-to-air video-on-demand service, 9Now, viewers were treated to every ball of every match on every court, giving Australians the best tennis experience available, anytime, anywhere, and on a device of their choosing.
Our expert team of hosts and commentators, backed by the unrivalled resources of Nine’s Wide World of Sports, took viewers closer to the game than ever before.
Nine’s broadcast of the Australian Open this year gave viewers:
- 360-degree, Matrix-style cameras: immersive video technology that positions cameras right around the court to simultaneously capture every angle. The resulting vision will give viewers a panorama-like experience of the world’s greatest tennis players in action.
- New analysis technology will ensure our commentators are able to scrutinise the game like never before, with every inch of play under the microscope.
- For the very first time, Electronic Line Calling technology will be available on every single court, across the entire tournament.
- Once again, our hosting set will be positioned on a half-court tennis court. Court Nine is located near Margaret Court Arena and this outdoor studio will welcome tennis fans to Melbourne Park as they arrive at the precinct through the city entrance. As well as providing the backdrop to our hosting of the Australian Open, the set will be home to the Today show team, who will broadcast LIVE from Melbourne Park each day from January 20. When not being used as a live television studio, Court Nine will be open to the public, bringing the game closer to fans than ever before. Tennis enthusiasts can even have their service speed measured on the half-court. Players will also conduct pre and post-game interviews on Court Nine, with the public able to watch on.
- Autograph signing sessions with Nine celebrities.
- A giant screen positioned on Court Nine will showcase Nine’s broadcast, providing all fans with a front-row seat to the premier matches.
Source: OzTAM Metro Total TV & Regional TAM Regional FTA +WA, 20/01/2020 – 02/02/2020, Total People, Nine + Nine Content Affiliates & 9GEM + GEM & 9GO! & GO!, Overnight, “AUSTRALIAN OPEN”, 5 City Metro & Combined Agg. Mkts, Standard Cume Rch [1 min].